IMPORTANT: Applicants must have previous experience as a GPI Conversation Buddy to be considered for this program.
How does it work?
Global Study Program(GSP) in Japan is a once-in-a-lifetime volunteer opportunity. Each week summer program participants are sent to various locations throughout Japan to serve as Group Leaders at various high schools and educational institutions. Group Leaders stay with a Japanese host family or in a local hotel. During the week (Monday to Friday), Group Leaders join GSP to help Japanese students develop a better understanding of empowerment and critical thinking while practicing communication in English.
Facilitators guide Group Leaders and Japanese students through daily lessons with activities and discussions exploring different aspects of empowerment. Group Leaders work in small groups with students where they can share viewpoints and perspectives while discovering how students can continue to develop the skills and tools of empowerment in their own lives.
While the curriculum provides an introduction to GSP themes, and a chance to engage in critical thinking, Group Leaders also have the unique opportunity to inspire Japanese students to pursue their passions, goals, and aspirations through their own experiences and stories.
2024 Program Duration
*（TBA but usually mid of July till mid of August）
1. Group Leaders gain hands-on experience in the field of international education and cross-cultural communication. Group Leaders are also given the opportunity to understand work ethics in the Japanese cultural context.
2. Group Leaders go on a once in a lifetime experience that will give them a very personal, enriching experience. Group Leaders immerse themselves in Japanese culture, make lifelong friendships, and learn a great deal about themselves.
3. Group Leaders are able to understand work ethics in the Japanese cultural context on a deeper level and learn through invaluable experience about the benefits acquired from living outside of your own cultural comfort zone.
- Applicants must have previous experience as a GPI Conversation Buddy to be considered for this program.
- Holders of passports issued by a country or region that are visa-exempt for visits up to 45 days in Japan.
- Applicants must currently be enrolled in a 4-year college/university or graduate program in Canada (required to show a valid college/university ID) or be a recent graduate.
- Attend mandatory pre-departure orientation session (location & time to TBD).
- Read and respond to all pre-departure material related to Japanese culture and program features.
- Attend orientation program in Japan prior to the commencement of the program.
- Act as a leader to students on projects and small group discussions.
- Share from life experiences to teach, inspire and motivate students.
- Prepare for various discussions by reviewing handouts and videos.
- Participate in various activities with students.
- Comply with all rules and regulations established by GPI/ISA.
- Japanese language proficiency is NOT required.
Program Costs Covered
- Airfare: Airfare: Round trip ticket to Japan from Canada.
- Flight tickets cannot be changed (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- Additional expenses incurred from traveling to the departure airport and/or additional travel accommodations will NOT be included in costs covered.
- Inbound Travel Insurance: Basic travel insurance in Japan.
- Residency: Homestay & Hotel.
- Transportation in Japan: School Commute (Personal Travel is not covered).
- Salary: No salary provided.
Deadlines + How to Apply
January 10, 2024
Main Office: email@example.com